The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is seeking to confirm reports an Australian-Afghan dual citizen has been executed in a Taliban-controlled area of Afghanistan.
The Guardian Australia reported on Sunday that 56-year-old Sydneysider Sayed Habib had been captured by Taliban militants on September 20 as he was travelling to meet his daughter-in-law in the Afghan province of Ghazni.
His body was reportedly discovered with bullet wounds to the neck and chest on September 23. Local residents also alleged there were signs of torture.
“The area where these events reportedly occurred is contested by the Taliban and it will be difficult to obtain definitive and official confirmation of the man’s death from the Afghanistan government,” a DFAT spokesperson said.
The Guardian also reported that Mr Habib, a resident of Australia since 2000, had been buried in the Afghan city of Jaghori.
Australian consular officials are providing assistance to the man’s family.
DFAT strongly discourages Australians from travelling to Afghanistan, citing the high risk of terrorist activity in the country.
“We urge all Australians considering travelling to Afghanistan to consult the Australian government’s Smartraveller website, which continues to advise that Afghanistan remains a ‘do not travel’ destination,” the DFAT spokesperson said.
https://en.shafaqna.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/new-logo-s-2.png00adminhttps://en.shafaqna.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/new-logo-s-2.pngadmin2014-09-28 21:21:032014-09-28 21:21:03Australian man 'executed' in Afghanistan