Question: The person who is taking out Khums for the first time, due to ignorance and laziness did not take out khums, what is your order regarding this? As he has already bought those necessary things for living and some of them are still present i.e. bed, clothes etc. and some have been used a have seized to exit i.e. ration, food, perfume, match sticks etc.
‘Khums’ literally means “one-fifth or 20%”. In Islamic legal terminology it means “one-fifth of certain items which a person acquires as wealth, and which must be paid as an Islamic tax”.
The Quran mentions it in the following verse (8:41),
“Know that whatever of a thing you acquire, a fifth of it is for Allah, for the messenger, for the near relative, and the orphans, the needy, and way-farer.”
You can fulfill your legal Islamic duties and take out the khums by the following detailed procedure listed below:
1. Everything which has been bought for use and that which is already in use and its physical state has seized to exist, khums is not obligatory for them.
2. Those things which have been bought for use and are now being used and they still have a physical state; third portion of khums will be paid on the fifth portion of the price on which it was purchased (means third portion of the fifth 3/5).
3. Those things which have been bought for use and have still not come into use. The khums will be paid on the total price on which it was purchased.
4. The khums of gold and silver jewelry will be given according to their weight, if there is 5 tola of gold and silver, so its khums will be 1 tola.
5. Khums will be fully paid on currency.
6. Those things which have been bought for business and commercial use and are also still present, khums will be given according to their current value, and he will be free from their obligation of khums.