Itching eyes are actually a symptom of an underlying cause. Though itching eyes do not cause any threat to eyesight, they can be a source of irritation and anxiety for patients. It can affect the quality of day- to- day life of a person. Itchy eye is a common problem and it gets worse during the pollen season or in the highly – polluted environment. Any unpleasant itchy sensation in and around the eyes is considered as an itchy eye. This is a very common condition seen with people suffering from allergy. To treat itchy eyes it is necessary to find out the underlying cause of itchiness.
Causes of Itching Eyes
• Allergies to pollen are a cause for allergic conjunctivitis causing redness and itching
• Dryness of the eyes
• Asthma, allergic rhinitis and eczema can cause itching of the eyes
• Contact lenses and improper hygiene while using contact lenses can induce conjunctivitis and itching
•Triggers like warm climate and pet dander increases the itching of the eyes
• Sensitivity to certain cosmetic products can cause itching
Symptoms of Itching Eyes
The important symptoms of the itchy eyes are
• Continuous itching of the eye
• Burning sensation of the eye
• Runny eyes
• Inflamed eyelids
• Inflammation of conjunctiva
• Red and irritated eyes and eyelids
• Discharge from the eye
• Sensitivity to light
For instant relief, there are some easy-to-follow natural treatments for itchy eyes. Many of these remedies use readily available ingredients from your kitchen. Here are the top 10 home remedies for itching eyes.
1. Cold Compress
Applying cold compresses around the effected eye area can help you to get instant relief. The simplest way to do this is to soak a cloth in ice cold water and place it over your eyes. Do this several times a day. Chamomile tea bags used as cold compresses can also help relieve itching eyes.
1. Put chamomile tea bags in the refrigerator for half an hour.
2. Place the chilled tea bags over the affected eye(s) for at least 10 minutes.
3. Do this three to four times a day for fast recovery.
Cucumbers contain anti-irritation properties that help in reducing inflammation, puffiness, swelling and irritation contributing to itchy eyes.
1. Thoroughly wash a cucumber and cut it into thin slices. Refrigerate the slices for 15 to 20 minutes, and then put them over your eyes.
2. Repeat the process four to five times a day.
3. Rose water
Rosewater is one of the most effective home remedies for itchy eyes. It can be used in a couple of ways. 1. Rinse your eyes with rosewater at least twice a day. 2. You can also use rosewater as eye drops for instant relief. Put four to five drops of rosewater into the inflamed eye.
4. Cold Milk
Milk is also one of the popular home remedies for itchy eyes.
1. Dab a cotton ball in cold milk and rub it around the eyes. You can also place a cotton ball soaked in milk on the eyes as a compress for an instant cooling effect.
2. Do this twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
5. Water and Salt
Water and salt are easily available and helpful in treating painful and itchy eyes.
1. Make a natural eye wash by mixing a cup of distilled water with one teaspoon of salt. Boil the solution until the salt dissolves completely.
2. Allow the solution to cool and then use it to flush the eyes.
6. Green Tea
Green tea has many health benefits including providing relief from itchy eyes. 1. Make an eye wash by boiling two green tea bags in one cup of distilled water. Allow it to cool completely. 2. Flush the eyes twice a day with the solution until your symptoms subside.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is another effective home remedy for itchy eyes.
1. Mix aloe vera juice with honey.
2. Rinse your eyes with the solution at least twice a day until the problem is solved.
8. Raw Potatoes
Raw potatoes can bring quick relief from itchy eyes.
1. Cut a raw potato into thin slices and keep them in the refrigerator for several minutes.
2. Put the chilled slices over your eyes for at least 30 minutes.
Fenugreek can also bring instant relief from itching eyes.
1. Soak fenugreek seeds in water for seven to eight hours and then make a smooth paste out of them.
2. Apply the paste over your eyes and leave it on for 20 minutes. Wash the paste off with cold water.
3. Do this twice daily for best results.
10. Vegetable Juices
Juice from raw vegetables, particularly carrots and spinach, can be of great help to treat itchy eyes. The juices can be used separately or combined together. Simply drink the fresh juice twice daily until you get relief. These natural treatments for itchy eyes are safe and without side effects. But if you don’t get relief, consult an eye specialist.