SHAFAQNA – Kabul’s police chief has resigned after the Afghan capital was hit by at least nine attacks in the last two weeks with foreign compounds, embassy vehicles and US troops among those targeted.
General Zahir Zahir resigned on Sunday shortly after he confirmed that three South Africans and an Afghan citizen were killed in a Taliban attack on Saturday evening.
Zahir said that the head of a foreign organisation, his son and his daughter were all killed, but the identity of the organisation was still not confirmed.
“The attackers first shot dead the director as they entered the building,” Zahir said, giving no further details.
Hashmat Stanakzai, Kabul police spokesperson, confirmed that Zahir had resigned.
“General Zahir Zahir told the Interior Ministry he no longer wanted to continue his job. The minister has accepted his resignation,” Stanakzai said.
Zabiullah Mujahid, Taliban spokesman, claimed on Twitter that the compound struck on Saturday was that of a secret Christian missionary group and that a meeting of Australian visitors had been hit.
Also on Saturday, Taliban attacks killed at least 11 Afghan soldiers in Helmand, including one on a base once held by NATO forces, according to Omar Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor.
Taliban fighters have mounted a violent campaign in Kabul in recent days, including an assault on the upscale Wazir Akbar Khan district, home to embassies and international agencies, and the suicide bombing of a British embassy vehicle.
There have been about a dozen attacks in the past two weeks alone.
The US-led NATO combat mission in Afghanistan will end on December 31 and be replaced by a follow-on mission supporting the Afghan army and police, who have taken over responsibility for thwarting the Taliban.