Kashmir: Kupwara encounter claims JCO, 3 militants

SHAFAQNA (Shia International News Association)

In the ongoing encounter between militants and the security forces in North Kashmir’s Kupwara district, three unidentified ultras of LeT were gunned down since past two days.

A day before, an army officer and an unidentified militant was killed in the encounter. The Operation had been suspended during the evening and resumed this morning resulting in the killing of two more militants.

According to senior police official that on specific information over the presence of militants, Police, 21, 30 and 06 Rashtriya Rifle (RR) launched a joint operation in the Wadder Bala forests.

“The militants opened fire on the search party in the wee hours on Tuesday, drawing retaliation, in the ensuing gunfire, a militant was killed and an army JCO was injured, official said.

The encounter had started in the Waderballa forest area in Handwara on Tuesday two weeks after police and army launched a joint operation. One trooper had died in the firing on Oct 13, police official added.

He said that, “the security forces had launched a search operation on Monday night after receiving specific information about the presence of militants in the forests.

“During the initial gunfight, a militant got killed and a Junior Commanding Officer of 30 RR sustained serious bullet wounds,” official confirmed.

Official further added and said that the security forces could not manage to evacuate the injured JCO from the spot due to heavy firing by militants. “The JCO Rajesh Kumar of 14 Mahar who has been earlier attached with 30 RR died on the spot.”

Early Times has learnt from official sources that a Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) of Army had lost his life while an unidentified militant was killed yesterday in the encounter that broke out when militants fired upon a joint search party of army and police in Waderbala forests near village Petta.

However the three dead bodies of the ultras of Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) have been recovered from the site of encounter, but the identity of the militant is yet to be ascertained.

According to media sources that Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police, north Kashmir Range, Ghulam Hassan Bhat has confirmed the news about the death of other two militants in an ongoing encounter in Kupwara district of north Kashmir.

Meanwhile Search operation was going on till the last reports came in.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *