MSF hospital is forced to shut down over Saudi strikes

SHARE

SHAFAQNA – An MSF-run hospital was forced this week to closed down its doors in Sa’ada, leaving the city without any medical facility, after its administration judged the situation much too dangerous. Oblivious to calls for restraints, Riyadh has continued to target MSF in Yemen, in what its officials have called legitimate airstrikes against enemy targets
The international medical charity said in messages posted on Twitter that its facility in the Razeh district of Sa’ada was evacuated after two raids struck 20 meters from the hospital on Tuesday.

The MSF said its staffers are “scared” to resume work in the hospital, which was also attacked in January. Four people were killed and 10 injured in the strikes back then.

Missile strikes have reportedly hit at least three MSF clinics across Yemen.

Yemen has been under military attacks by Saudi Arabia since late March last year. The Saudi military strikes were launched to bring fugitive former President Abd Rabbu Mansur Hadi back to power.

At least 10,000 people, among them 2,236 children, have been killed and more than 16,000 others injured since March 2015. The strikes have also taken a heavy toll on the impoverished country’s facilities and infrastructure, destroying many hospitals, schools, and factories.

Yemenis have carried out attacks in retaliation, inflicting heavy losses on Saudi forces.

On Thursday, Yemen’s al-Masirah television network claimed a number of Saudi forces were killed in a missile attack, targeting a military base in the central province of Ma’rib.

It came a day after a similar attack on the al-Tadaween camp, where Saudi forces had gathered, killing a number of Saudi forces and injuring several others.

In the face of such despicable war crimes, the International League for Yemen War Crimes has vowed to bring every, and all criminals of war before justice.

By Catherine Shakdam for Shafaqna

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here