SHAFAQNA (International Shia News Association) The US Justice Department has asked an appeals court to delay releasing secret videotapes shot at Guantanamo Bay prison.
The department said in a Tuesday court filing that it was asking the judge to extend the delay in release of the 32 tapes even further.
The videos show how guards at the notorious prison force-feed a hunger-striker inmate, Abu Wa’el Dhiab, after removing him from his cell.
US District Judge Gladys Kessler had ordered the public release of the “secret” videotapes in October but stopped the planned release in November at the government’s request.
The Justice Department has cited an opportunity for the government to contest public disclosure as a reason for the delay.
On Monday, members of the US Congress omitted a plan to shut down the military prison from an annual defense bill.
There are still 149 inmates at the prison, which was set up after the September 11, 2001 attacks.
Washington says the prisoners are terror suspects, but has not pressed charges against most of them in any court.
Last year, many detainees went on a hunger strike for months to draw attention to their conditions at the US prison.