SHAFAQNA – Iran has firmly urged Saudi Arabia to stop ravaging Yemen and brushed off new Saudi FM claims about Iran.
“Riyadh is accusing Iran of interfering in Yemen while it has been more than 40 days that Saudi Arabia is bombarding Yemen to safeguard its own and its allies’ interests laying water, land and air siege to humanitarian aids ,” Iran’s Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham said on Thursday.
Referring to the joint press conference of US Secretary of State John Kerry and the Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir, Afkham rejected the unfounded claims made by Saudi Arabia and called them based on unsubstantiated analysis.
The Iranian spokesperson reaffirmed that Yemeni people would not allow any foreign country to infringe on their legal right of sovereignty.
Warning of the deterioration of humanitarian situation in Yemen, she also restated Iran’s humanitarian approach towards the current status of defenseless Yemeni women and children and urged immediate halt of Saudi strikes and allowance for flow of aids to the war-torn country.
“Dialogue is the best way to reaching a logical and long-lasting solution,” she said adding that immediate stop of Saudi strikes against Yemen and resumption of Yemeni-Yemeni talks for formation of a broad government were vital and essential steps towards resolving the issue through political means.
Saudi Arabia’s air campaign in Yemen started on March 26 – without a UN mandate – in a bid to restore power to fugitive former Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
The Saudi military campaign has reportedly claimed the lives of over 1,200 people so far and injured several thousands of others. Hundreds of women and children are among the victims, according to the United Nations health agency.
Source : Mehrnews