SHAFAQNA- Cracked and chapped lips are usually a result of dryness. The skin of the lips may also peel off in some cases. When the lips become too dry, tiny tears may appear on the surface and this can lead to bleeding and considerable discomfort. Chapped lips are rarely a serious problem and mainly develop during the cold winter months, and due to wind exposure or sunburn. Those who have a habit of constantly licking the lips may also develop chapped lips. Breathing through the mouth can also cause your lips to become dry. In some cases, certain mild health conditions such as a common cold, nutritional deficiencies, allergies and dehydration may cause the lips to become dry and cracked. It is very easy to care for chapped and dry lips and there’s a lot that you can do to reduce the severity of the problem, such as increasing water intake, avoiding cold or sun exposure and using simple home remedies. Under the rarest of circumstances, cracked, chapped and dry lips may require medical care. This mainly occurs when the body is severely dehydrated.
Causes of Cracked, Chapped and Dry Lips
The lips may become chapped and dry due to various factors. Most cases of chapped lips are due to the following:
· Exposure to harsh winds
· Smoking and drinking alcohol also contribute to dry lips.
· Excessive use of harsh soap may make the lips dry.
· Intake of certain strong medications such as those which help to treat acne
· Exposure to allergens present in the environment, foods, and skin care products
· Deficiencies of the vitamins A, B and C
· Wearing dentures that do not fit properly
· Fungal infection known as angular chelitis which results due to deficiencies of iron, zinc and the vitamins A and B. It results in cracking at the corners of the mouth.
Home Remedies for Dry Lips:
There are many basic home remedies available for dry, inelastic and chapped lips. Here, are some common natural tips for dry lips that you can follow.
· Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated. Keeping your body hydrated is most crucial for dry skin as well as dry lips.
· Applying Ghee or Butter over lips not only make lips soft and smooth but also give relief from the pain caused by cracked lips.
· Aloe Vera gel is beneficial in all kind of skin problems. You can apply Aloe-Vera gel over your lips.
· Include food containing Vitamin A in your daily diet as the deficiency of Vitamin A causes cracked lips.
· You can apply glycerin over dry lips to make it smooth. Adding few drops of honey in glycerin and applying this mixture overnight on your lips is highly effective home remedy for making the lips smooth and soft.
· Cucumber slice are also effective in treatment of dry lips. Rub freshly cut cucumber slice over your lips. It will cure dry and chapped lips.
· Squash few rose petals and mix it in glycerine or milk. Apply this paste over lips. It will help in maintaining the color and moisture of lips.
Exfoliating dead cells off your chapped lips will help restore their natural softness faster.
1. Mix two teaspoons of sugar with one teaspoon of honey. Apply the paste to your lips and let it sit for a few minutes.
2. Then use your fingers and gently rub the mixture around on your lips to loosen the dead cells.
3. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can help heal chapped lips caused by cold or dry weather. Simply apply pure coconut oil several times a day on your lips to keep them moist. You can also use olive oil.
The high fat content of milk cream makes it a great natural lip moisturizer. 1. Apply fresh milk cream on your lips and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then gently wash your lips with a cotton ball dipped in lukewarm water. 2. Do this daily to help your lips heal faster.