SHAFAQNA- Coughing is usually an irritation of the throat, which causes you to cough in order to “eject” the unwanted substance in your body. Doctors have explained that cough can be divided into 2 categories: Dry cough and wet cough. Dry cough usually sound chesty and it’s often occurring at night, where the conditions are cold. Wet cough, however, attempts to cough out phlegm that is irritating the throat. You can hear and feel the wetness of the cough and you have to spit out the phlegm most of the time.
Coughing is also a symptom to indicate a serious illness. If you have only a cough without fever, pain, etc. you can try out the natural remedies and it should help you clear the cough. However, if your cough comes with high fever, flu, short of breath, chill, etc. you should seek a doctor’s attention.
Home remedies for a cough
Drink Warm Liquids
A cough is best not neglected. It can not only be extremely annoying but can also lead to several complications. Drinking warm water is a good way of soothing the inflammation in the throat; but this does not have any taste and may be unappetizing for most people. A warm soup is a much better solution as is a glass of hot herbal tea.
The herb turmeric has a therapeutic effect on coughs, particularly a dry cough.
· You can make a sort of herbal tea by adding one teaspoon of turmeric powder to a cup of water, and boil it until water reduces to one-half cup. Add some honey and drink this herbal solution two to three times a day.
· Another way to use turmeric is to roast turmeric root and grind it into a smooth powder. Mix it with water and honey, and drink it twice a day
· You can also put one tablespoon honey and one teaspoon each of turmeric and black pepper in half a cup of water. You can add cinnamon sticks too. Boil it for two to three minutes. Drink it daily until your cough subsides.
Ginger is one of the most popular natural cures for a cough.
· Cut fresh ginger into small slices and crush them slightly. Put them in a cup of water and bring to a boil. Drink this herbal solution three to four times a day for relief from sore throat, non-stop coughing and even congestion.
· You can also chew fresh raw ginger on and off throughout the day to reduce your cough symptoms.
Garlic has both antibacterial and antimicrobial components that help treat coughs.
· Boil two to three cloves of garlic in a cup of water and add a teaspoon of oregano. Allow it to cool to room temperature, add some honey and drink it. This will help your breathing and alleviate other cough symptoms.
One of the simplest home remedies for a cough is to cut onions. Breathing in the strong vapors can help stop coughing.
· Combine one-half teaspoon of onion juice with one teaspoon of pure honey. Swallow this solution at least twice a day to alleviate a cough and soothe your throat.
Since ages, honey has been known to soothe the irritated throat linings and reduce cough. A study conducted at the Penn State School of Medicine on children above the age of 2 years showed that honey helped them cough less and sleep better.
There are different ways of using honey besides the one mentioned in combination with turmeric. A dry cough responds to a mixture of honey with juice from grapes. A glass of hot milk with some honey added just before going to bed is effective at relieving night time cough. Mix in honey and lemon juice to a glass of warm water and drink this three times per day for relief from cough. People suffering from diabetes can have honey too. You could also pour some honey in a bowl and mix with cinnamon to taste then take as needed to clear a cough. For added benefits from the analgesic properties of honey, swallow a teaspoon of plain honey on empty stomach. This will help clear the mucus and soothe your throat.
Grapes have properties that act as an expectorant, releasing the mucus from the affected parts of your respiratory system. The faster you get rid of the mucus, the faster your coughing will end. You can simply eat grapes or make some fresh grape juice. Grape juice with a spoonful of honey will be soothing as well as effective.
Almonds have nutritional properties that play a proactive role in healing cough symptoms.
· Soak five to six almonds in water for 8 to 10 hours.
· Make a smooth paste out of the soaked almonds and add one teaspoon of butter.
· Eat it three to four times a day until your symptoms go away.
These home remedies can give you relief from the various symptoms of a cough without the side effects that come with pills and cough syrups. But if you have continuous coughing for more than two weeks, consult your doctor.