SHAFAQNA – The Grand Ayatollah Shahroodi answered questions about the sale and the use of genetically modified (GM) foods.
- What is the ruling about using GM foods which are directly or indirectly from genetically modified plants or animals (including from Halal meat or Haram meat)?
- Is the producer or the seller liable for the production and the sale of GM products even when they are not aware of the negative effects of them on people (in another words, is the seller liable for the health and safety of the product)?
- Is the producer liable for damages when does not announce or hide that the product is genetically modified, and the consumer gets ill by using that product?
The Grand Ayatollah Shahroodi:
- If these products directly or indirectly harm the human’s body, their usage is not allowed.
- In the condition that these products are harmful, the production and the sale of them without mentioning that they are harmful are not allowed, and the producer and the seller are liable.
- It is clear from the previous answer.
Source: PERSIAN SHAFAQNA