SHAFAQNA (Shia International News Association)
At least eighteen people have died in the port city of Karachi since Tuesday night due to the consumption of toxic moonshine, DawnNews reported.
“Since last (Tuesday) night, 18 people have died after consuming toxic liquor,” doctor Seemi Jamali of Karachi’s Jinnah Hospital told AFP.
The doctors were trying to save the lives of 15 others whose condition was serious, she added.
Inspector General of Police (IGP) Sindh Ghulam Haider Jamali has taken notice of the deaths caused due to the consumption of toxic moonshine and has ordered the authorities to arrest the culprits selling the banned liquor.
Area police chief Akhtar Farooq said that police had conducted raids at illegal liquor factories and arrested three accused while seizing “Katchi Sharab” (home made liquor).
A few days earlier, at least 20 people died in Hyderabad reportedly after consuming toxic liquor.
Liquor poisoning is common in Pakistan, where the Muslim majority is forbidden to consume or sell alcohol. Non-Muslims can drink but many poor buy the cheapest home-made liquor, which is often adulterated.