SHAFAQNA – The Grand Ayatollah Sistani answered questions about smoking cigarette.
Question: The medical advice says smoking is the main cause of heart problems and cancer and sometimes shortens life. Therefore, what is the ruling about smoking cigarette for the following people?
- The one who has just started smoking?
- The one who is addicted to smoking?
- We are sitting next to a person who is smoking cigarette and doctors say that the one who is sitting next to a smoker suffers significantly.
The Grand Ayatollah Sistani’s answers:
- If smoking cigarette causes harm even in the future including the harm is obvious or is supposed to cause harm, in a way that wise people fear for the health of the person (smoker), it (smoking cigarette) is Haram. But if it does not cause severe harm and for this reason the person smokes less, then there is no problem.
- If by continuing smoking cigarette severe harm will be caused must stop smoking unless stopping causes other harm which is the same as smoking or even worse than that or stopping causes another difficulty which is unbearable.
- Such a person is like the beginner and the answer in part one will include him.
Source: PERSIAN SHAFAQNA