SHAFAQNA- World Muslims, along with political and religious leaders of various countries denounced a terrorist attack in Spain on Thursday claimed by Daesh (ISIL or ISIS).
The Islamic Commission of Spain condemned the attack in Las Ramblas in central Barcelona, which left at least 13 people dead and more than 80 injured.
“Spanish Muslims express their condolences to the families of the victims and express their solidarity with the people of Barcelona and Spain,” said a statement signed by Riay Tatary Bakry, the president of the commission, telesurtv.net reported.
“Faced with this criminal act, the Islamic Commission of Spain reiterates its full commitment in the fight against any type of terrorism, and hopes that those responsible for these attacks will be arrested and brought to justice as soon as possible,” it continued.
Egypt’s al-Azhar Islamic Center condemned the tragic incident and every other act of terrorism anywhere in the world, saying that Islam stressed humanity’s right to peaceful life.
Secretary general of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), Iraqi ministry of foreign affairs, UN secretary general, Germany’s chancellor and the presidents of Russia and France were among others condemning the attack.
On Thursday, a van plowed into a crowd on one of Barcelona’s busiest tourist areas, mowing down pedestrians and leaving bodies strewn across the road.
The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said on Twitter he was en route to Barcelona. “Maximum coordination to arrest the attackers, reinforce security and attend to all those affected,” he said.
Meanwhile, a second terror attack occurred in Spain’s northeastern Catalan region on Friday.
In the early hours of Friday morning, five armed attackers were shot dead while attempting to enter a tourist area in the small coastal town of Cambrils, 120 kilometers (75 miles) south of Barcelona, police said.
Officials have so far provided little information concerning the Cambrils attack, other than confirming that six bystanders were injured along with one police officer.
Reports the attackers may have been armed with suicide belts remains unverified, though police say a specialist bomb disposal team was deployed.