SHAFAQNA – Members of Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement, backed by fighters from allied Popular Committees, have reportedly managed to wrest complete control of a town in Saudi Arabia’s southwestern Asir region.
On Tuesday, the Yemeni forces seized control of al-Rabu’ah, forcing Saudi troops to pull out of the area, Arabic-language al-Masirah satellite television network reported.
The development came a day after fighters from the Houthi Ansarullah movement, backed by allied army units, carried out rocket attacks on several military bases in Asir region, leaving four Saudi soldiers dead.
Saudi Arabia’s Interior Ministry also confirmed on Monday that a Saudi border guard had been killed in the clashes with Yemeni forces.
The ministry said in a statement that the border guard was killed after a Saudi military post in the district of Harth in the southwestern province of Jizan came under Yemeni fire earlier in the day.
The Yemeni attacks came in retaliation for Saudi Arabia’s atrocious military campaign against Yemen, which claims civilian lives every day.
Saudi Arabia launched its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 – without a UN mandate – in a bid to undermine the revolutionary Ansarullah movement and restore power to Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
Nearly 4,500 people have been killed in the Yemeni conflict, the World Health Organization said on August 11. Local Yemeni sources, however, say the fatality figure is much higher.