SHAFAQNA – Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman slammed a Saudi-led aerial attack on a wedding ceremony in Yemen’s Dhamar province that killed dozens of civilians on Wednesday.
“The attacks by foreign military forces on Yemen’s residential areas and civilian targets have slaughtered thousands of the Muslim country’s defenseless people so far, and have had no results for the invading forces but destruction and killing of innocent Yemeni people,” Marziyeh Afkham said on Thursday.
The spokeswoman also called on the United Nations and the influential countries in the Yemeni crisis to ramp up efforts for bringing an immediate end to the Saudi-led air strikes on Yemen.
She further stressed the necessity for plans and measures to protect the lives of Yemeni civilians, particularly women and children.
On Wednesday, Saudi warplanes targeted a wedding in the Yemeni town of Sanban in Dhamar province, 100km south of the capital Sana’a, killing at least 51 civilians.
The raid, which was the second airstrike on a wedding party in Yemen in just over a week, hit a house where dozens of people were celebrating on Wednesday evening.
Al Masirah television said on Twitter that the wedding was hit by “aggression warplanes”.
Back in September, a Saudi-led coalition strike killed at least 131 civilians at a wedding near the Red Sea city of al-Mokha, which the UN said may have been the deadliest hit since March.
Yemen’s defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the coalition for months.
On March 26, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies began to launch deadly airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to the fugitive former President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
More than 4000 people, many of them children and women, have been killed in the aggression against the Arab country so far.