SHAFAQNA – Police have arrested the 48-year-old driver of the van who ploughed into a crowd of pedestrians in north London, next to a Muslim center and close to a mosque. One man was pronounced dead at the scene and 10 people were injured, with eight of them being taken to the hospital.
19 June 2017
Two of the victims sustained serious injuries, Basu says.
The incident “has all the hallmarks of a terrorism incident,” UK counterterrorism police coordinator Neil Basu said in a statement.
He added that all the victims were from the Muslim community.
Assistant Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Britain called the incident a “terror attack on Muslim worshippers.”He tweeted a statement from the Muslim Welfare House, condemning “any act of hate that tries to drive our wonderful community apart” and calling “for calm.”
No other suspects have been announced so far, according to the London Metropolitan Police. The investigation into the incident is ongoing.
UK Home Secretary Amber Rudd called the Finsbury Park attack “an appalling incident” in a statement on Monday morning, and called on Londoners to unite in the face of violence.
“We must all continue to stand together, resolute, against all those who try to divide us and spread hate and fear,” Rudd said.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan issued a statement condemning “a horrific terrorist attack on innocent people in Finsbury Park.”
He went on to draw parallels between Sunday night’s attack and the ones that struck Manchester, Westminster and London Bridge, saying that it was “also an assault on all our shared values of tolerance, freedom and respect.”
UK Prime Minister Theresa May said that London police are treating the incident as a “potential terrorist attack.” May added that she has called an emergency meeting for Monday morning.
Counter Terrorism Command has been put in charge of the investigation, according to a statement by police. Police units currently working at the scene are beiing assisted by the armed police, Territorial Support Group and officers dispatched from neighbouring areas.
Police said they have arrested a 48-year-old man, the driver of the van that rammed pedestrians outside the Muslim Welfare House. The suspected attacker was handed over to the officers by “members of the public” and is now in custody. He is to be subjected to a mental health evaluation “in due course.”