coronary angioplasty, arterial blood flow before it was closed or narrows is significantly increased.
In angioplasty, a small balloon temporarily closed in the blood vessel (artery) placement to help dilate it. Angioplasty is often placement permanent a wire mesh tube called a stent.
To help arteries stay open and reduce the chances of re-narrowing.
Some stents are coated with a layer of medication to help vessels stay open (drug-coated stents) and others without medical cover (pure metal stents).
Angioplasty can be improving some signs of artery disease, such as chest pain and shortness of breath.
Angioplasty can applied also quickly during a heart attack to open the artery and reduce the heart damage.
What is the reason for performing angioplasty?
Angioplasty to treat a type of heart disease called atherosclerosis used.
Atherosclerotic is the gradual formation of plaques of fat in the blood vessels of the heart.
When medical treatment or changes lifestyle are not enough to improve heart health, or in the event of a heart attack, chest pain, severe excess (angina) or other symptoms, your doctor may recommend angioplasty as treatment.
Angioplasty cannot be used in all heart problems. If the main artery supplying the left side of the heart is missing, or if the heart muscle is weak or small blood vessel is closed, open surgery may be a better choice for the treatment of coronary artery.
In open surgery, coronary artery, through a link from another part of the body to the blocked artery, create a sub-directory.
In addition, in the case of diabetes or multiple vessel blockages associated with open heart surgery the doctor offers.
The decision to perform angioplasty or open heart surgery related to the extent of heart disease and general health of the individual.
If vessel blockage be high blood or main artery of the heart be narrowing, the Performance of heart is decreased, or the performance or in the case of diabetic patients, the doctor may be, open heart surgery instead of angioplasty and stenting recommend.
Before angioplasty should do the following:
– Doctor guidelines for match drug that use before it. Your doctor may stop taking certain medications before angioplasty, particularly if you use certain medications for diabetes or blood thinners.
– All the medications you are taking, especially nitroglycerin medication to take with you to the hospital.
– Medicines that your doctor is permitted consumption before angioplasty; you can drink only a few small sips of water.
– Eight hours before the angioplasty, the patient should be fasting.
– Angioplasty is performed without anesthesia and with the use of sedative drugs.
– Patients may be due to the use of sedatives having feel sleepy. That is why it is better to take rest.
– Patients can begin oral fluid intake two hours after surgery.
– Usually 24 to 48 hours after angioplasty patient stays in the hospital.
– Patients should avoid walking until 48 hours, not driving, outpatient rooms and in case of bleeding or fever, seeing a doctor soon.
After angioplasty should do the following:
Probably after the angioplasty procedure, should someday be controlled hospitalized and heart function.
As long as you’re in the hospital, the doctor anticoagulant to prevent clotting and drugs to calm the spasms of the coronary arteries and cause a heart attack, they may prescribe.
You can probably after a week of angioplasty, go to work and continue normal life.
After angioplasty, if see following call with Physician or hospital officials:
– There is catheter if develop bleeding and swelling.
– If there is bleeding and swelling at the site of catheter.
– In the event of increasing pain and discomfort at the site of catheter
– In the event of changes in temperature or color foot or arm that was treated
– A sense of consciousness or fainting
– Chest pain or shortness of breath
Exact compliance with the recommendations of the physician after surgery, In the case of treatment with blood thinners like aspirin therapy is very important.
Most people do angioplasty or stents are implanted or not, must take must take aspirin in lifelong.
In some cases, people who have stents need use blood-thinning medication for a year or more.
If you need surgery or having any problems other than heart surgery, before stopping your heart medication, consult with a heart specialist.
Results of angioplasty
Most people do coronary angioplasty, arterial blood flow before it is closed or narrowed increased significantly.
Usually the chest pain is reduced and this ability to exercise better.
Angioplasty and stenting do not mean that heart disease is completely eliminated.
You have to keep healthy habits and lifestyle and possibly consumption medication to ensure the prevention of re-narrowing of the artery.
If symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, or similar symptoms to what you were before angioplasty return call your doctor.
If you experience chest pain while at rest or nitroglycerin medication was ineffective for pain relief call emergency.
To keep your heart healthy after angioplasty should perform the following:
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Quit smoking.
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Reduce your blood cholesterol levels.
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Keep your weight within normal and Healthy limits.
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Control other diseases such as diabetes or high blood pressure.
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Exercise regularly.
When open heart surgery is needed?
Successful angioplasty means you do not need to perform open-heart surgery.
In open heart surgery, arteries or veins from other parts of the body are removed and the connected to heart that Compensation lack of blood vessel.
The surgery is needed develop a gap in the chest.
During recover from open-heart surgery, angioplasty is longer and more uncomfortable.
If blockage of a blood vessel be high, or the main artery of the heart be narrowed, or performance of the heart be reduced or in the case of patients with diabetes, your doctor may recommend. Open heart surgery rather than angioplasty and stenting.
In addition, some obstruction to technical reasons it is better to be treated with open-heart surgery.