Eight killed in attack on Tunis museum

SHARE

SHAFAQNA – Tunisia’s Interior Ministry says seven foreigners and one Tunisian have died in an armed attack on the country’s leading museum in the capital, Tunis, which is adjacent to the parliament. The attack was carried out at the Bardo Museum, which is located less than 150 meters (500 feet) from the parliament, also known as Assemblee Nationale, on Wednesday. Government officials, meanwhile, said at least eight tourists were killed in the attack. Tunisia’s Interior Ministry spokesman said security forces were still verifying media reports that militants are holding tourists hostage. A report also referred to hostage taking at the museum.

Officials also said Tunisian security forces were surrounding two militants inside the museum. The ministry had earlier stated that an attack on Bardo on Wednesday had left a female tourist wounded, saying the casualty was caused after at least two men armed with Kalashnikov assault rifles attacked the venue. “A terrorist attack (has hit) the Bardo Museum,” interior ministry spokesman Mohamed Ali Aroui told Mosaique FM radio, adding that “two or more terrorist elements” had partaken in the attack. “What is certain is that a woman tourist was wounded,” he added.

The official Tunis Afrique Presse (TAP) news agency said shooting had broken out at the museum around midday Wednesday. The radio said three men dressed in military-style clothing may have taken hostages inside the museum. Lawmaker Monia Brahim said parliamentary committees had suspended meetings following the incident and lawmakers had been ordered to convene in the main chamber.

Source : Press TV

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here