Ibrahim bin Abbas, who was one of the high-ranking officials of the Abbasid caliphate, has left the following eyewitness account of Imam Reza’s(A.S.) impeccable character.
– His Holiness never irritated others by verbal or practical teasing.
– His Holiness did not interrupt others’ speeches.
– The Holy Imam (A.S.) never refused the demands of others.
– I never witnessed him to have his legs stretched out before the others.
– And I could never find him in a resting position in the presence of other people.
-His Holiness never swore at his servants.
-His Holiness never cachinnated in happy circumstances.
-I never saw him spit his saliva out.
-At dinner all his servants including porters and even the stablemen were served in his attendance.
– His Holiness used to stay up all nights invoking Allah the Almighty. The Holy Imam (A.S.) also observed regularly the religious duty of fasting and always gave alms in secret.