It is unfortunate that most non-Muslims are unaware of the Muslim belief regarding Jesus and Mary. Indeed they may be shocked when they come to know it. In explaining our beliefs, we will translate the meaning of the Quranic verses which speak about Jesus and Mary. This approach, which employs the primary source of Islam, ensures accuracy in conveying our beliefs about them. The Quran is the great foundation of belief for Muslims in every time and place.
To make for easier reading, we have used the English equivalents for the names of Jesus and Mary (i.e. their names in the language of the Quran are “‘Eesa” and “Maryam” respectively). Also, there are some Arabic words that do not have English equivalents, so we retained the transliterated word followed by their English meaning in brackets. No translation is exact, but we have tried to adhere as closely as possible to the original Arabic in which Allah revealed the Quran to His Messenger Muhammad .
The Quran Narrates Mary’s Birth
35. (Remember) when the wife of ‘Imrân (Mary’s mother) said, “O’ my Lord! I vow to You that which is in my womb to be dedicated for Your service, (free from all worldly work; to serve Your Place of worship) so accept this from me. Verily, You are the All-Hearing, the All-Knowing.”
36. Then when she delivered her (Mary), she said, “O’ my Lord! I have delivered a female child,” – and Allah knew better what she had delivered, – “And the male is not like the female (in temple serving), and I have named her Mary, and I seek refuge for her with You (Allah) and for her offspring from Satan, the outcast.”
37. So her Lord (Allah) accepted her (Mary) with a goodly acceptance. He caused her to grow in a good manner and placed her under the care of Zakariyâ (Zachariya). Every time he entered Al-Mihrâb (her praying room) to (visit) her, he found her supplied with sustenance. He said, “O’ Mary! From where have you gotten this?” She said, “This is from Allah. Verily, Allahprovides sustenance to whom He wills, without limit.”
Her Upbringing and the Announcement of Jesus’ Birth
42. And (remember) when the angels said, “O’ Mary! Verily, Allah has chosen you, purified you (from polytheism and disbelief), and chosen you above the women of the universe.”
43. “O’ Mary! Submit yourself in obedience to your Lord (Allah, by worshipping none but Him Alone) and prostrate yourself, and bow down along with those who bow down.”
44. This is a part of the news of the unseen with which We inspire you (O’ Muhammad). You were not with them, when they cast lots with their pens as to which of them should be charged with the care of Mary; nor were you with them when they disputed.
45. (Remember) when the angels said, “O’ Mary! Verily, Allah gives you the glad tidings of a Word [“Be!” – and Jesus was] from Him, his name will be the Messiah Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honor in this world and in the Hereafter, and will be one of those who are near to Allah.”
46. “He will speak to the people in the cradle and in extreme old-age( i.e. when he returns to this world), and he will be one of the righteous.”
47. She said, “O’ my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me?” He said, “So (it will be) for Allah creates what He wills. When He has decreed something, He says to it only, “Be!” and it is.
17. She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent to her Our Spirit (Angel Gabriel), and he appeared before her in the form of a man in all respects.
19. (The Angel) said, “I am only a Messenger from your Lord, (to announce) to you the gift of a righteous son.”
20. She said, “How can I have a son, when no man has touched me, nor am I unchaste?”
21. He said, “So (it will be), your Lord said, ‘That is easy for Me (Allah): And (We want) to appoint him as a sign to mankind and a Mercy from Us (Allah), and it is a matter (already) decreed, (by Allah).’ ”
22. So she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a far place (i.e. Bethlehem Valley approx. 4-6 miles from Jerusalem).
23. And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a date-palm. She said, “Would that I had died before this, and had been forgotten and out of sight!”
24. Then he cried unto her from below her, saying, “Grieve not! Your Lord has provided a stream of water under you.”
25. “And shake the trunk of the date-palm towards you, it will let to fall upon you fresh ripe dates.”
26. “So eat and drink and be glad, and if you see any human being, say: ‘Verily! I have vowed a fast unto the Most Beneficent (Allah) so, this day, I shall not speak to any human.'”
27. Then she brought him (the baby) to her people, carrying him. They said, “O’ Mary! Indeed you have brought a thing ‘Fariya’ (an unheard, mighty thing).”
28. “O’ sister (i.e. the like) of Aaron [a pious man at the time of Mary (not the brother of Moses)]! Your father was not a man who used to commit adultery, nor was your mother an unchaste woman.”
29. Then she pointed to him. They said: “How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle? ”
30. “He (Jesus) said: Verily! I am a servant of Allah, He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet;”
31. “And He has made me blessed wheresoever I be, and has enjoined on me prayer, and charity, as long as I live.”
32. “And (made me) dutiful to my mother, and did not make me arrogant, unblest.
33. “And peace be upon me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!”
34. Such is Jesus, son of Mary. (it is) a statement of truth, about which they doubt (or dispute).
35. It befits not (the Majesty of) Allah that He should beget a son. Glorified (and Exalted be He above all that they associate with Him). When He decrees a thing, He only says to it, “Be!” and it is.
37. Then the sects differed [i.e. the Christians about Jesus] so woe unto the disbelievers [those who gave false witness by saying that Jesus is the son of Allah] from the meeting of a Great Day.
38. How clearly will they (polytheists and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah) see and hear, the Day when they will appear before Us! But the Zalimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers) today are in plain error.
39. And warn them (O’ Muhammad ) of the Day of grief and regrets, when the case has been decided, while (now) they are in a state of carelessness, and they believe not.
40. Verily! We will inherit the earth and whatsoever is upon it. And to Us they shall all be returned.
His Life, His Miracles and His Being Raised Up
48. And He (Allah) will teach him [Jesus] the Book and the Wisdom, (and) the Torah and the Gospel.
49. And will make him (Jesus) a Messenger to the Children of Israel (saying): “I have come to you with a sign from your Lord (Allah), that I fashion for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by Allah‘s Leave; and I heal the blind one, and the leper, and I bring the dead to life by Allah‘s Leave. And I inform you of what you eat, and what you store in your houses. Surely, therein is a Sign for you, if you believe.
50. And I have come confirming what was before me of the Torah, and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden to you, and I have come to you with a proof from your Lord. So fearAllah and obey me.
51. Truly! Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him (Alone). This is the Straight Path.
52. Then when Jesus came to know of their disbelief, he said: “Who will be my Helpers in Allah‘s Cause?” the Disciples said: “We are the Helpers of Allah; we believe in Allah, and bear witness that we are Muslims (we are submitting our selves to Allah).”
53. Our Lord! We believe in what You have sent down, and we follow the Messenger (Jesus); so write us down among those who bear witness (to the truth i.e. Lâ ilâha ill-Allah – none has the right to be worshipped except Allah).
55. And (remember) when Allah said: “O’ Jesus! I will take you and raise you to Myself and clear you (of the forged statement that Jesus is Allah‘s son) of those who disbelieve, and I will make those who follow you (the Monotheists, who worship none except Allah) superior to those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. Then you (all) will return to Me and I will judge between you in the matters in which you used to dispute.”
56. “As for those who disbelieve, I will punish them with a severe torment in this world and in the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers.”
110. And when Allah will say (on the Day of Resurrection). “O’ Jesus, son of Mary! Recall My Favor upon you and upon your mother when I supported you with the Holy Spirit (Gabriel) so that you spoke to the people in the cradle and in old age (thousands of years); and when I taught you writing, the Wisdom, the Torah and the Gospel; and when you made out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, by My Permission, and you breathed into it, and it became a bird by My Permission, and you healed the blind, and the lepers by My Permission, and when you brought forth the dead by My Permission; and when I restrained the Children of Israel from you (when they resolved to kill you) since you came unto them with clear proofs, and the disbelievers among them said: ‘This is nothing but evident magic.’ ”
112. (Remember) when the Disciples said: “O’ Jesus, son of Mary! Can your Lord send down to us a table spread (with food) from heaven?” Jesus said: “Fear Allah, if you are indeed believers.”
113. They said: “We wish to eat thereof and to be stronger in Faith, and to know that you have indeed told us the truth and that we ourselves be its witnesses.”
114. Jesus, son of Mary, said: “O’ Allah, our Lord! Send down to us from heaven a table spread (with food) that there may be for us – for the first and the last of us – a festival and a sign from You; and provide us sustenance, for You are the Best of sustainers.”
115. Allah said: “I am going to send it down unto you, but if any of you after that disbelieves, then I will punish him with a torment such as I have not inflicted on anyone among (all) the universe.”
156. And because of their disbelief (the Jews) and their uttering against Mary a grave false charge (that she had committed adultery).
157. And because of their saying (in boast), “We killed the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah,” – but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of Jesus was put over another man (and they killed that man – Judas), and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge concerning it, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not (i.e. Jesus, son of Mary).
159. And there is none of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), but must believe in him (Jesus, son of Mary, as only a Messenger of Allah and a human being), before his death. And on the Day of Resurrection, he (Jesus) will be a witness against them.
116. And when Allah will say (on the Day of Resurrection): “O’ Jesus, son of Mary! Did you say unto men: ‘Worship me and my mother as two gods besides Allah?’ ” He will say: “Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner-self though I do not know what is in Yours, truly, You, only You, are the All-Knower of the unseen.
117. “Never did I say to them except that which You (Allah) did command me to say: ‘Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.’ And I was a witness over them while I was among them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them, and You are a Witness to all things.
118. “If You punish them, they are Your slaves, and if You forgive them, verily You, only You are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.”
119. Allah will say: “On this Day, the truthful will profit from their truth: theirs are Gardens under which rivers flow (in Paradise) – they shall abide therein forever. Allah is pleased with them and they with Him. That is the great success.
120. To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all therein, and He is Able to do all things.
The Truth About Jesus
59. Verily, the likeness of Jesus in the sight of Allah is the likeness of Adam. He created him from dust, then (He) said to him: “Be!” – and he was.
75. The Messiah (Jesus), son of Mary, was only a Messenger; many were the Messengers that passed away before him. His mother (Mary) was a believer. They both used to eat food (as any other human being, while Allah does not eat). Look how We make the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to them, yet look how they are deluded away (from the Truth).
172. The Messiah was never proud to reject servitude to Allah, nor were the angels who are near (to Allah). And whosoever rejects His (Allah‘s) worship and is proud, then He (Allah) will gather them all unto Himself (to give them their recompense).
Prophet Muhammad Giving the Glad Tiding of Jesus’ Return to this World
Prophet Muhammad said:
The prophets are brothers – their mothers are different but their creed is one. I am the closest one among the people to Jesus son of Mary, because there was no prophet between He and I. He will be coming down, so when you see him, know him. He is a man between red and white (in color). He wears two reddi