SHAFAQNA – Syrian forces have uncovered a mass grave of people killed by the Daesh Takfiri terrorists (ISIS) in the recently-liberated city of Palmyra in Homs Province confirmed Syrian officials.
Syria’s official news agency SANA quoted a field source as saying on Friday that 25 corpses, including five women and three children, have been recovered from the mass grave so far.
The source said the grave was discovered as the engineering units and Syrian popular forces were conducting operations to defuse the explosive devices and mines that had been planted by the Daesh terrorists in northeastern Palmyra.
The source further said that the recovery of the dead bodies is still ongoing.
The report said Daesh committed a massacre in Palmyra on May 24, 2015, leaving at least 400 people dead, most of them women, children and elderly people.
The Syrian army, backed by popular defense groups and Russian air cover, wrested back control of Palmyra on March 27 following four weeks of military operations against Daesh.
Russia began airstrikes against Daesh in Syria on September 30, 2015 upon a request from Damascus.
Syria has been gripped by a militancy it blames on some foreign governments. According to a February report by the Syrian Center for Policy Research, the conflict in Syria has claimed the lives of over 470,000 people in total since March 2011.