Military intervention in Qatar will cause regional chaos: Sheikh Tamim

SHARE

SHAFAQNA – Qatar’s emir has warned against any military confrontation over the ongoing diplomatic dispute between his country and four other Arab nations, saying it would only plunge the region into chaos.

Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani said U.S. President Donald Trump has offered to host a meeting between Qatar and its opponents — Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates — to end the crisis between the American allies.

Speaking to the American television network CBS’s “60 Minutes” news program, Sheikh Tamim said so far, however, there’s been no response from the boycotting nations.

“It was supposed to be very soon, this meeting,” he said.

When meeting in Washington with Trump in September, Kuwaiti emir Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah said that mediation by the American president helped avoid any violence.

“Thank God, now, what is important is that we have stopped any military action,” said Sheikh Sabah, who himself has been trying to mediate the dispute.

In the “60 Minutes” interview, which will air Sunday night in the U.S., Sheikh Tamim acknowledged the alleged military threat.

“I’m fearful that if anything happens, if any military act happens, this region will be in chaos,” he said.

His comments drew immediate criticism early Sunday from Emirati Minister of State for International Affairs Anwar Gargash.

“To go to the Western media and attack Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates at this point is desperate,” Gargash wrote on Twitter. Qatar “should accept its isolation without sniveling and do what it must.”

The four countries boycotting Qatar allege the natural gas-rich nation funds extremists. Doha long has denied funding extremists.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here