A goiter is an enlarged thyroid gland. The thyroid is the gland in front of the neck just below the area of the Adam’s apple. This butterfly-shaped gland plays a critical role in regulating the metabolic processes of the body by producing thyroid hormone. Heart rate, blood pressure, growth, and breathing are examples of the many processes that depend upon thyroid hormone from the thyroid gland. When the gland becomes enlarged due to diseases or tumors, the gland is referred to as a goiter.
A goiter can develop as a result of numerous different conditions. It can be associated with over-function of the thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism, or excessive thyroid hormones) or with under-function of the gland (hypothyroidism, or inadequate levels of thyroid hormones). Also, some goiters are associated with normal levels of thyroid hormones. Both inflammation and tumors can cause thyroid enlargement. Sometimes, the entire gland may be enlarged in a symmetrical pattern, while in other goiters, nodules, or enlargement may develop in one part of the gland only.
When a goiter becomes very large, it can sometimes cause symptoms because it presses on adjacent structures such as the esophagus and trachea. Symptoms that can occur related to a large goiter include problems with swallowing, shortness of breath, hoarseness, and stridor (a wheezing sound that results from turbulent air flow in and out of the trachea).
Some of the other symptoms that are seen in people who have Goiter are depression, irritability and lack of concentration.
Home remedies of Goiter
· A change in diet would be helpful in treating goiter. Include iron rich food in the diet such as strawberries, citrus fruits, egg yolk, sea food, tomatoes, oats, onion, garlic, carrots and lettuce.
· Foods that are high in Vitamin B like meat, dairy products, soy bean, cereals, beans, nuts, seeds, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, corn, okra, parsnips, grapes, raspberries, watermelons, dates, grapefruit and avocadoes to name a few.
· Pineapple is said to be a good cure for Goiter. Drink pineapple juice regularly and that can help largely in reducing Goiter.
· Bananas, as they help stimulate the thyroid.
· In order to follow a proper diet for goiter, you not only need to include the right foods, but also may need to change your eating habits a bit. For starters, instead of eating 3 square meals a day, it is better to have 5 or 6 smaller meals, spaced at frequent intervals. At no time should you skip a meal, especially breakfast, which is not only the most important meal of the day, but also should be the most substantial.
· Before you make any changes to your existing diet, it is important to consult a doctor and get his/her approval.
· In case of an infant suffering from goiter, mother’s milk is the best home remedy to treat goiter.
· Having cool showers twice a day is also recommended to help cure thyroid related problems.
· A simple way would be to do the neck stretches and exercises daily. These help stretch the muscles that are attached to the thyroid gland. Aerobics and jogging also help relieve a person suffering from goiter.