SHAFAQNA (Shia International News Association)- Palestinian Authority president Mahmoud Abbas on Tuesday condemned an attack on a synagogue in Jerusalem that killed four Israelis earlier in the day.
Abbas’ office said in a statement that the presidency always denounced the killing of civilians by any party.
“Consequently, today the presidency denounces the killing of worshipers at a place of worship in West Jerusalem,” the statement said, according to the official Palestinian news agency Wafa.
“The presidency also denounces all violent acts no matter who their source is, and demands an end to the ongoing incursions into the Al-Aqsa Mosque and the provocative acts by Israeli settlers as well as incitement by some Israeli ministers,” it added.
The statement went on to demand an end to the Israeli occupation and said the Palestinian Authority remained committed to a two-state solution.
Meanwhile, the Palestinian factions Hamas, Islamic Jihad, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, and the Popular Resistance Committees praised the attack.
Israeli media reported that two Palestinians used guns and knives to attack the Israeli settlers in a synagogue in Har Nof neighborhood in occupied Jerusalem.
The Israeli army radio said that both attackers were gunned down.
Early on Tuesday, two Palestinian men, reportedly armed with axes and handguns, entered the synagogue in the Har Nof neighborhood of West al-Quds, killing at least four Israelis and injuring several others including two police officers.
The assailants were fatally shot by Israeli forces. The area has now been cordoned off and the assault is being investigated.
Gaza-based Palestinian resistance movements Hamas and Islamic Jihad hailed the attack, saying it was a response to the recent hanging of Hassan Yousef Rammouni, a young Palestinian bus driver, by Israeli settlers.
Rammouni, 32, was driving back home from work on November 16 when he was abducted and then hanged by Israelis in his bus in the Ras al-Amud neighborhood of East al-Quds.
Following the Tuesday incident, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the Tel Aviv regime would “respond harshly” to the fatal attack.
Tensions have been running high in East al-Quds after Israeli troops shot dead a young Palestinian man in northern occupied territories last week.
Israeli forces claim Khair al-Din Hamdan was shot during a raid, but video footage released after the incident shows an Israeli soldier getting out of his car and shooting directly at Hamdan.
Following the unrest sparked by the killing, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered a harsh crackdown on protests.
Palestinians have vowed to keep holding demonstrations in protest at Hamdan’s killing until the Israeli soldier who shot him dead is brought to justice.