PressTV/Ukraine vows cluster bombs probe

SHARE

SHAFAQNA (Shia International News Association)- The Ukrainian government has vowed to carry out a full investigation in connection to allegations that banned cluster bombs were used in its offence against pro-Russian.

The deputy head of Ukraine’s presidential administration, Valeriy Chaly, said on Tuesday that if cluster bombs were used, it was without the authorization of political leaders in Kiev.

“I am not ready to answer this question because we still have to conduct our own internal investigation,” Chaly told reporters after being asked about the allegations.

On Monday, Human Rights Watch published a detailed investigation that points out 12 incidents where cluster bombs killed six people, including a Swiss aid worker, in and around Donetsk earlier this month.

“While it was not possible to conclusively determine responsibility for many of the attacks, the evidence points to Ukrainian government forces’ responsibility for several cluster munition attacks on Donetsk,” the rights group said.

“We have taken note of the report,” Chaly added.

Meanwhile, Ukrainian Defense Ministry spokesman Bogdan Senyk also said that the “charges are groundless.”

Cluster munitions are banned in most countries due to their indiscriminate nature of killing of people. The Convention on Cluster Munitions (CCM), which came into force in 2010, has 114 member states. Ukraine has not joined the treaty.

The United Nations said earlier this month that more than 3,660 people had been killed in fighting between the Ukrainian government troops and pro-Russia forces in Ukraine’s eastern provinces over the past six months.

 

Source:PressTV

www.shafaqna.com

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here