SHAFAQNA – A man asked Imam Ali (AS): Allah (SWT) said in the holy Quran: Call on Me (God), I (God) will answer your Duas (prayers); so, why our Duas are not accepted/answered? Imam Ali (AS) replied: Because of eight reasons.
- You knew/recognized God, but you did not observe God’s rights as it was Wajib for you to do so.
- You believed in the Prophet of Islam (PBUH), but opposed his traditions, and destroyed his religion; so, what was the fruit of your belief?
- You read the Quran, but did not practice it. You said: (we accept the Quran by our ears and hearts), but you opposed it practically.
- You said: We desire paradise, but in all the cases, you carried out acts which take you away from paradise.
- You said: We fear the hell fire, but in all conditions, you are going towards hell because of your sins.
- You ate/used God’s blessings, but did not give thanks.
- God ordered you to be the enemy of Satan, and said: Satan is your enemy, consider Satan as your enemy. You were Satan’s enemy by your tongues, but in practice, you were friends of Satan.
- You put others faults in front of your eyes, and threw your own faults behind you; therefore, you blame others, whilst you deserve to be blamed more than others.
Now, in this situation, which of your Duas is accepted? Whilst you have closed the doors for your Duas, and ways of their acceptance! Therefore, correct your deeds, in order for Allah (SWT) to answer your prayers .
 Beharul Anwaar, Vol. 9, Page 376.