Date :Saturday, October 20th, 2018 | Time : 06:18 |ID: 74636 | Print

Saudi Arabia has admitted that Jamal Khashoggi was killed

, , , , , ,

SHAFAQNAPassing 18 days since the disappearance of Saudi journalist, on Saturday, for the first time Saudi Arabia has admitted that Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside his consulate in Istanbul, the Saudi state-run SPA news agency reported.

“The talks between Jamal Khashoggi and those he met at the consulate of the kingdom in Istanbul (…) resulted in a brawl, which led to his death,” said the agency, quoting the prosecution.

Turkish officials have identified 15 Saudis who may have role in assassination of Khashoggi. The New York Times confirmed that at least nine of these 15 suspects worked for Saudi security services, military or other ministries.

There are evidences that show Saudi crown prince Mohammad bin Salman is the clue of this assassination and Saudi king has given mission to trusted authorities for defusing the crisis and to check MBS’s power, Reuters reported.

Two days age, a Turkish newspaper published a photograph of Maher Abdulaziz Mutreb who is a frequent companion of Saudi Arabia’s crown prince entering the country’s consulate in Istanbul hours before Jamal Khashoggi disappeared inside.

Earlier this week, Turkish investigators have entered the home of the Saudi consul general in Istanbul to gather more evidence about the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi.

The search of the consul’s residence came 15 days after Khashoggi’s disappearance — and after police apparently thought they would be able to conduct the search on Tuesday. Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Saudi officials had halted the earlier search, claiming that Consul General Mohammed al-Otaibi’s family was still there.

Crime-scene technicians wore white coveralls, gloves and shoe covers entering the residence. It wasn’t immediately clear what they hoped to find there, although surveillance video had showed diplomatic cars moving between the consulate and the residence nearly two hours after Khashoggi walked into the diplomatic post, Time reported.

Turkey’s private DHA news agency, without citing a source, said police wanted to inspect a “water well” in the garden of the residence.

Investigators also re-entered the consulate Wednesday night.

The consul, Mohammed al-Otaibi, flew back to Riyadh on Tuesday. He denies knowing what happened to Mr Khashoggi, BBC reported.

The report by the newspaper Yeni Safak cited what it described as an audio recording of Khashoggi’s slaying. It described the recording as offering evidence that a Saudi team immediately accosted the 60-year-old journalist after he entered the consulate.

Al-Otaibi could be heard on the tape, telling those allegedly torturing Khashoggi: “Do this outside; you’re going to get me in trouble,” the newspaper reported.

The “last piece” written by journalist Jamal Khashoggi

Recently, The Washington Post published a column by Khashoggi it said it received after he was reported missing, in which he pointed to the muted international response to ongoing abuses against journalists by governments in the Middle East.

As a result, Arab governments have been given free rein to continue silencing the media at an increasing rate,” Khashoggi wrote. He added: “The Arab world is facing its own version of an Iron Curtain, imposed not by external actors but through domestic forces vying for power.”

 

Read more on Shafaqna:

U.S. CONGRESS PROPOSE BILL TO STOP SAUDI WEAPONS SALE AFTER KHASHOGGI DISAPPEARANCE 

JAMAL KHASHOGGI CASE: NEW EVIDENCE SUGGEST SUSPECTS HAD TIES TO SAUDI GOVERNMENT       

SAUDI ARABIA IS FACING POLITICAL AND ECONOMIC ISOLATION OVER KHASHOGGI’S FATE           

KHASHOGGI ISSUE: THE NEW SAUDI CHALLENGE          

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *