SHAFAQNA – Sony Pictures says it is looking at different ways to release The Interview after scrapping its opening following a cyber-attack blamed on North Korea.
It said it had only cancelled the film’s Christmas Day release after cinemas pulled out.
Sony said it was considering releasing it “on a different platform”. US President Barack Obama called the cancellation “a mistake”.
North Korea denied involvement and has now urged a joint inquiry with the US.
The FBI said on Friday that the Pyongyang government was responsible. The Interview depicts the fictional assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
Also on Friday President Obama said he wished Sony executives had spoken to him before cancelling the release.
Responding to the US president’s comments, Sony Pictures chief executive and chairman Michael Lynton said the studio had not made an error in cancelling the release.
A Sony statement said the decision had been based on “the majority of the nation’s theatre owners choosing not to screen the film”.
“Without theatres, we could not release it in the theatres on Christmas Day. We had no choice,” the statement added.