SHAFAQNA – The Grand Ayatollah Shahroodi answered questions about ending the life of a patient with incurable illness by medicines given by doctor and patient’s agreement.
- Considering that in some cases those who suffer from incurable illnesses in order to be relieved from painful life, ask doctors to inject them with medicine to end their lives. In such cases where the patient is ready to be relieved from pains of incurable illness and die with the aid of medicines given by doctor; can the doctor do so with patient’s agreement?
- If the doctor does so according to patient’s request, is the doctor liable, and if the doctor’s action leads to patient’s death, what kind of murder is this?
- In cases of brain dead patients, can the doctor end the signs of life, and is the doctor liable?
- In cases where keeping mother alive is necessary, can the foetus be aborted?
The Grand Ayatollah Shahroodi:
- Is not allowed.
- Yes, is liable, and blood money (Diyeh) is Wajeb to pay.
- No, cannot, if really is dead is not liable.
- If according to religious specialists it is certain or there is a danger to mother, as long as the spirit has not entered the foetus, abortion is allowed, but after the spirit has entered the foetus, it is only allowed if there is a danger to mother’s life.
Source: PERSIAN SHAFAQNA