SHAFAQNA – Question: Why does my spirituality fluctuate and how can I control this? Can you give me some practical tips on how I can improve my spirituality and maintain closeness to Allah (swt)?
Answer: It’s very interesting that the holy Prophet (P) was asked quite the same question. The following is the holy Prophet’s answer with my elaboration and explanation:
Spiritual fluctuation is one of the characteristics of our hearts. Our soul is also called ‘Qalb’ (heart) because it changes from time to time, one day and on one occasion and under certain circumstances we may feel more spiritual, and then we may feel low. One of the main reasons for that is that our heart is like a metal and hell & heaven are like magnets attracting these metals. When we are in the magnetic field of Dunya (Satanic worldly fields) naturally our spirituality diminishes, and likewise when you are in the heavenly fields you feel more spiritual.
Depending on how often and for how long we hold our hearts in the magnetic fields of Dunya or Akhira we develop a hell or heavenly nature, until it becomes our second nature. Then you become a magnet too; a magnet of heaven God willing, or God forbid a hellish magnet. Have you noticed when you sit with certain scholars or even read about them you feel more spiritual? That is because they have been so much in the magnetic field of Paradise that they have turned into another heavenly magnet attracting people to heaven and spirituality. The same applies to people who are hell-bound in this world. They too drag people to their own pitfall of hell.
Now that we know the function of our hearts the remedy is in our hands: when you are in Hajj you feel more spiritual because you are in the central part of all spiritual magnets. You feel less spiritual in your hometown because you are surrounded by worldly materials which divert your attention from spirituality. What you need to do is to expose yourself more to spiritual magnets such as:
1. Build a personal and permanent relation with God: speak with God when you are driving, walking, doing your home duties, etc. Even speak loud to Him when no one is around. Do this every day until you get used to it. It doesn’t matter what you say, it’s the communication that matters.
2. Be more frequent and regular in attending spiritual gatherings, such as religious programs held in the Islamic Centres near you.
3. Your circle of friends matter a lot. Don’t associate with non-Mahram. Non-Mahram here means those who divert your attention (from spirituality) to Dunya, fashion, business, and all negative worldly affairs.
4. Commit yourself to pray on time, especially your morning prayer which is recorded by two groups of angels, and if possible, spend only 15 minutes before Fajr prayer on your prayer mat, sending your mind to the future; for example think of the year 2070 and ask yourself ‘where am I going to be then? – what is going to happen to me then?’ Your life there and then depends on how you live now!
5. After every single Salaat stand towards the Qibla and greet Imam Husain (a.s) and Ahlul-Bayt(a.s):
السلام علیک یا اباعبدالله و علی الارواح التی حلت بفنائک علیک منی
السلام علیک یا صاحب الزمان عجل الله تعالی فرجک و جعلنی الله من اعوانک و انصارک
Answered by: Sheikh Mansour Leghaei